The horrendous civil war in Syria is entering its fourth year with conditions steadily worsening. The New York Times presents this snapshot of conditions in Syria:
- An estimated 150,000 people have been killed.
- The number of refugees has climbed to 2.5 million.
- Forty-two percent of Syrians have been forced out of their homes. (The majority are IDPs--internally displaced persons.)
- About 700,000 homes have been damaged or destroyed.
- Unemployment is at 50 percent.
The CBC provides another overview of the civil war in Syria here.