Today is International Women's Day. This would be a good time to recall that
- 600,000 women per year--one every minute of every day--die of causes (mostly preventable) related to pregnancy;
- three-fourths of the world's refugees and internally displaced persons are women;
- 70 percent of the world's illiterates are women;
- women produce 80 percent of the world's food while receiving under 10 percent of the world's agricultural assistance; and
- the United States has still not ratified the Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Discrimination Against Women (CEDAW).